Googling such key words as "Olympics dream", we get both hilarious and sad stories of athletes from different countries. Some have won their berths and are coming to Beijing with high expectations while others are seeing their dreams dashed as a result of injuries or other problems.

Their laughter or tears only enhance our conviction that the simple "One World, One Dream" theme does follow the fundamental principles of Olympism.

Enshrined in the Olympic Charter, these stipulate, among others, the way of life "based on the joy of effort, the educational value of good example and respect for universal fundamental ethical principles"; and the service of sport for "the harmonious development of man, with a view to promoting a peaceful society concerned with the preservation of human dignity".

"Dream"here means aspiration and goal, but I believe even today not many people, especially those in the West who are busy pointing fingers at human rights problems in China, are aware how much humiliation, subjugation, wars and poverty the Chinese have suffered but overcome to realize the one Olympics dream.

While the history of modern Olympics started 114 years ago, the Chinese began to dream of the Olympics in 1908, the year when London hosted the Summer Olympics for the first time.

Until the early 1990s, a nonagenarian in Tianjin still remembered watching a slide show of the gala ceremony of the world sports event along with students from Nankai University. He also recalled seeing the students hanging banners with three questions:
"When will China be able to send athletes to the Olympics?"

"When will China win an Olympics gold medal?"

"When will China host the Olympics?

"It was 24 years since then before the first lonely Chinese, Liu Changchun, embarked on the Chinese people's first journey to the Olympics in Los Angeles in 1932 and competed only in the heats of the 100m and 200m.

Another 52 years passed before Xu Haifeng, China's sharp shooter, won the country's first-ever Olympics gold. And it is yet another 24 years later that the Olympics opens in Beijing.

I know it is really hard for those former colonialists who once enjoyed bullying the Chinese and treating them as the "Yellow peril" or "Asian weak" to share with them the efforts in making Beijing the home of the 2008 Olympics for the world's athletes.

It is also very difficult for those who preach Western supremacy to see the Chinese exploring and blazing our own trail of development and winning the trust of the world to host the Olympic Games.It is only natural for them to try to smear or even spoil the world's eagerness for a successful Beijing Olympic Games and to scrutinize anything Chinese with colored microscopes.
And it should be no wonder they see the patriotism of the young Chinese as a "threat", even though patriotism is deeply embedded in Americanism or the French idea of liberty. While trying to impose their values, they are actually robbing other people of their own national identity and dignity.Since we have come a long way to prepare for hosting the Olympics through many twists and turns, we should learn to live with the ridicules and even the slander while pursuing and enjoying the dream. It is not only our own but one of the world's.

We should also be realistic that we are, after all, human. Since no human being is perfect, we are bound to miss a few steps and leave some loopholes. It simply doesn't matter as long as we correct our mistakes, plug the loopholes, smile and apologize.

We are making our once-in-a-lifetime dream come true, so let's enjoy.



By Li Xing (China Daily)
Updated: 2008-07-31 07:29



Life is like a cup of coffee


giving us a taste of both its bitterness and its sweetness.


Life is like a sea,


and only a strong-willed man can cross it.


Life is like an onion: you peel it off one layer at a time,


and sometimes you weep.
I’ll give you some advice about life.
给你生活的忠告

Eat more roughage;
多吃些粗粮;
Do more than others expect you to do and do it pains;
给别人比他们期望的更多,并用心去做;
Remember what life tells you;
熟记生活告诉你的一切;
Don’t take to heart every thing you hear. Don’t spend all that you have. Don’t sleep as long as you want;
不要轻信你听到的每件事,不要花光你的所有,不要想睡多久就睡多久;
Whenever you say” I love you”, please say it honestly;
无论何时说“我爱你”,请真心实意;
Whenever you say” I’m sorry”, please look into the other person’s eyes;
无论何时说“对不起”,请看对方的眼睛;
Fall in love at first sight;
相信一见钟情;
Don’t neglect dreams;
请不要忽视梦想;
Love deeply and ardently, even if there is pain, but this is the way to make your life complete;
深情热烈地爱,也许会受伤,但这是使人生完整的唯一方法;
Find a way to settle, not to dispute;
用一种明确的方法解决争议,不要冒犯;
Never judge people by their appearance;
永远不要以貌取人;
Speak slowly, but think quickly;
慢慢地说,但要迅速地想;
When someone asks you a question you don’t want to answer, smile and say, “Why do you want to know?”
当别人问你不想回答的问题时,笑着说:“你为什么想知道?”
Remember that the man who can shoulder the most risk will gain the deepest love and the supreme accomplishment;
记住:那些敢于承担最大风险的人才能得到最深的爱和最大的成就;
Call you mother on the phone. If you can’t, you may think of her in your heart;
给妈妈打电话,如果不行,至少在心里想着她;
When someone sneezes say, “God bless you”;
当别人打喷嚏时,说一声“上帝保佑”;
If you fail, don’t forget to learn your lesson;
如果你失败了,千万别忘了汲取教训;
Remember the three “ respects” .Respect yourself, respect others, stand on dignity and pay attention to your behavior;
记住三个“尊”: 尊重你自己; 尊重别人; 保持尊严, 对自己的行为负责;
Don’t let a little dispute break up a great friendship;
不要让小小的争端损毁了一场伟大的友谊;
Whenever you find your wrongdoing, be quick with reparation!
无论何时你发现自己做错了,竭尽所能去弥补;动作要快!
Whenever you make a phone call smile when you pick up the phone, because someone can feel it!
无论什么时候打电话,摘起话筒的时候请微笑,因为对方能感觉到!
Marry a person who likes talking; because when you get old, you’ll find that chatting to be a great advantage;
找一个你爱聊的人结婚;因为年纪大了后,你会发觉喜欢聊天是一个人最大的优点;
Find time for yourself.
找点时间,单独呆会儿;
Life will change what you are but not who you are;
欣然接受改变,但不要摒弃你的个人理念;
Remember that silence is golden;
记住:沉默是金;
Read more books and watch less television;
多看点书,少看点电视;
Live a noble and honest life. Reviving past times in your old age will help you to enjoy your life again;
过一种高尚而诚实的生活。当你年老时回想起过去,你就能再一次享受人生。
Trust God, but don’t forget to lock the door;
相信上帝,但是别忘了锁门;
The harmonizing atmosphere of a family is valuable;
家庭的融洽氛围是难能可贵的;
Try your best to let family harmony flow smoothly;
尽你的能力让家平顺和谐;
When you quarrel with a close friend, talk about the main dish, don’t quibble over the appetizers;
当你和你的亲近的少吵嘴时候,试着就事论事,不要扯出那些陈芝麻、烂谷子的事;
You cannot hold onto yesterday;
不要摆脱不了昨天;
Figure out the meaning of someone’s words;
多注意言下之意;
Share your knowledge to continue a timeless tradition;
和别人分享你的知识,那才是永恒之道;
Treat our earth in a friendly way,don’t fool around with mother nature;
善待我们的地球,不要愚弄自然母亲;
Do the thing you should do;
做自己该做的事;
Don’t trust a lover who kisses you without closing their eyes;
不要相信接吻时从不闭眼的伴侣;
Go to a place you’ve never been to every year.
每年至少去一个你从没去过的地方。
If you earn much money,the best way to spend it is on charitable deeds while you are alive;
如果你赚了很多钱,在活着的时候多行善事,这是你能得到的最好回报;
Remember,not all the best harvest is luck;
记住有时候,不是最好的收获也是一种好运;
Understand rules completely and change them reasonably;
深刻理解所有的规则,合理地更新他们;
Remember,the best love is to love others unconditionally rather than make demands on them;
记住,最好的爱存在于对别人的爱胜于对别人的索求这上;
Comment on the success you have attained by looking in the past at the target you wanted to achieve most;
回头看看你发誓取得的